Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Stage to the Road



My early years consisted of dance classes and soccer practices. I wasn't a soccer junkie so I wouldn't quite call myself an athlete just yet. Dancing was what I enjoyed the most as a teenager. I was deaf, yes, but that did not stop me from doing what I loved. It was who I am.

My reminiscences of dancing were spent in the studios, gymnasiums, and on stage. I loved dancing for certain reasons--for one, it gives me positive vibes. When I dance and am able to keep up with the choreography, I feel good and capable. Every movement was like mini goals I had to accomplish. I can't hear the music nor feel the vibrations. I had lost my cochlear implant that time so the only time I could feel sound vibrations is if I'm not moving. That conflicted with dancing and I never relied on counts like every dancer should. It was all about feeling the pace, momentum, rhythm and following others. As a deaf dancer, it felt great like I was proving the world wrong that hearing was essential to being able to dance.



My journey went from dancing in high school to a year hiatus while enrolling at a community college. I missed dancing and soon, my attention shifted to maintaining a healthy body through running. That time, I was battling insomnia that sometimes I had no choice but to get up early after sleepless nights. With ample gap between waking hours to class time, I would go out for a run five to six times a week. I even joined a running class at a community college, which was mostly running during your spare time just to get the "credit" to pass the course. Kind of ridiculous, but at least it got me started at a new hobby.

Like every other running newbie, my form wasn't that great. My arms were crossing over my chest and I was taking bigger strides, wasting every precious energy that could be used to move forward and speed up. At that time, I thought I was running just fine but boy, I was wrong and so naive. It's amazing to see how much your body have transformed after almost seven years of running. When I got into Gallaudet University, running was still something I did during my spare time in the mornings. I also tried to get back into my old hobby--dancing. I joined Gallaudet Dance Company and grew disinterested after a semester of studio practices. I did several performances but never truly enjoyed the choreography because it was either flat or too traditional and old-fashioned. They would assign me ballet or lyrical styled dances that didn't fit my style preference. I withdrew and shifted more attention to running.

Cross Country taught and developed me into the athlete I am. I was doing all sorts of running--sprint, hill work, fartlek, tempo, and long distance. The more varied the workouts got, the more I immersed into the world of competitive running. I've completed numerous road races--especially 5k's to a full marathon and blossomed into a true runner by the time I graduated. Today, there's much more spark in my desire and passion for competition than several years ago. I love to run because I get lost in my own world. I think and dream about everything when I run. I focus on every stride I take--one foot in the front of the other and feel the pace. As months and months flew by, running at faster speeds were getting easier and easier.

I still dream about dancing. When I dream, I miss it but I know for sure that it was time to move on and adopt a different path. Running is my destiny and addiction. My body is already programmed to get up early in the mornings to just run. It was my time to be alone, do good for myself and it's incredibly inspiring to watch a runner execute such beautiful form. Almost one year ago this month, I became a triathlete to give my body and joints what it needs--cross-training. It's what every smart runner does and I fell in love with it despite the fact I'm not that into swimming!

It's amazing to reflect on this journey and recall the many paths that took me to where I am in life. I'm a dancer-turned runner and triathlete. Running is my passion and triathlon is a way to enhance my skills as a well-rounded athlete. Even though I'm new to the sport of triathlon, I'm constantly striving to be the best multi-sport athlete I can be, at least in my age group and I'm slowly working my way up. Patience, discipline, determination and a growing passion is put forth into my endeavors as a triathlete.

No comments:

Post a Comment