Monday, April 9, 2012

Keep Calm and Swim On

A year ago today was my first outdoor triathlon in South Beach. It doesn't seem like too long ago and I'm totally reminiscing the experience right now after seeing new race photos posted for this year's race on Facebook's news feed.

I had some bad luck during the race, but hey, who doesn't?! First, someone grabbed my ankle and pulled me back during the swim and before the person tried to have a second go for it, I kicked back. Hard. Second, somebody had stolen my gel packs I had taped on my bike in the transition area and I was left with no fuel but water and a sagging energy for the next 24 miles on the bike. Third, the 10k run didn't go well as I was having tummy and headache issues. The heat were taking a toll on me and I was feeling just nauseous. I wanted to quit.

But still a memorable experience and I don't regret it at all. I had planned on doing this race again as a reunion with my old roommates this year but that didn't happen when I moved out of DC. Last year's race didn't leave me satisfied and I'm dying for a second chance at it, this time with better preparation!

Just one word of advice--be a good sport. Respect others. Don't steal. If it's not yours, leave it alone. Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Accidentally hitting or kicking someone in the face or elsewhere or getting whacked yourself during the swim is totally normal--it's inevitable and we have to understand they aren't doing it on purpose but grabbing someone by the ankle and stealing is totally, well pardon the language, but f*cked up. With swimming in the open water as my biggest fear and least favorite discipline, I wanted so badly to take out the swimmer who gave me a near heart attack but it would make the both of us look bad. It's not worth it. Kick hard if you have to defend yourself! Otherwise, keep calm, swim on and save all your anger energy for the race itself! Nobody is worth your anger but the race.

A few of my favorite last year's photos:

Minutes before the swim start at daybreak. Gorgeous.

Pre-race photo with my two roommates on left and friend (right).

Trying to shake off some pre-race anxiety!

No comments:

Post a Comment