Friday, April 13, 2012

Peanut Butter Chickpea Bars


Mmm! I think those are pretty darn good. I wouldn't call them The Good Cookie though. It's not as sweet as a cookie would taste so let's just call them Peanut Butter Chickpea Bars. Now that sounds healthier and it is!

"Mildy sweet" as the blog states. I would agree. I'm picky when it comes to the amount of sweetness in "health" bars but the sweetness in this recipe suits me just right as a pre-workout fuel or mid-afternoon snack.

With the addition of chickpeas, those bars has loads of fiber which means..... yeah, you know. Plus, lots of protein, making it a good post-workout fuel choice to boost recovery.

I prefer snacks that are easily digestible and low in protein to prepare me for a workout so I got a little nervous about also trying them out before a workout. Too much protein gives me an upset stomach because it requires more energy to digest but not with these bars, surprisingly.

I didn't have ground flax seed in hand so I substituted it for an extra 1/4 c of wheat germ. Still good.

Used Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips. Would've went higher with the cacao content but the bag was sitting in the back of the pantry with the last 2 ounces left in the bag. Whew. But anyway, the higher the cacao content, the better for you. Aim for 60% or more!

Give them a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment