Monday, April 16, 2012

Unless You're a Camel



Got some good amount of reading done yesterday.

I'm bringing nerdy back. Need to get this out of my head. Thought this one was fascinating:

The temperature of the ingested fluid you drink influences the speed at which it leaves the stomach (known as gastric emptying). The colder it is, the faster it leaves the stomach. The warmer, the slower.

If you have ever felt like warm (or room temperature perhaps?) liquids leave you feeling bloated with all the water sloshing around in your tummy like a damn ocean, you might want to try to keep your drink colder next time and/or stick to conservative drinking during a workout.

I don't think most of us like training on a tummy that feels like a water balloon. It just gets uncomfortable. But you are your own judge. Experiment and figure out what works better for you. Either that or you might not notice any difference. For me, it's cold all the way. Of course, it's more palatable. Who would want to drink warm water anyways?

The only time I can and like taking in warm liquids is before a cold morning run. A cup of hot tea (it has to be really, really hot) scorches and cleans out my throat and lungs. Before you give me a funny look, I swear it helps me breathe better. I do feel water sloshing around in my tummy as opposed to drinking a cold drink but it doesn't bother me only if the long runs are done on low intensity!

It has also been mentioned that higher workout intensities makes the gastric emptying rate much more slower. If you have ever wondered why you suddenly start feeling like crap with some gastrointestinal discomfort at a intensity of 90% VO2max, you have your answer.

Prepare wisely when it comes to not only timing solid food consumption prior to a workout but also fluid ingestion. Keep the anticipated training intensity in mind as well!


References
Noakes, Tim. Lore of Running. Cape Town: Oxford University Press Southern Africa, 2003.

No comments:

Post a Comment