Friday, April 27, 2012

Taper Day 5

A whole day off before the race leaves me feeling not as pumped on race day and just performance awkwardness with under stimulated legs. If I don't throw in something small to keep the muscles stimulated the day before, it just takes longer to settle into a pace during shorter races. I perform best when I get warmed up the day before. That's why I always choose to schedule complete rest the day before the last day of taper so I can use that last day feeling all refreshed and tap my legs awake with the efforts I plan on using tomorrow.

Today was, again, some quick bursts of race pace but at shorter bouts rather than a minute and a gear run through on the bike--just shifting around to make sure it runs smoothly.

5:00 WU spin
8:00 of gear shifting fun, throwing along some 15-20 sec bursts of race pace at high cadence
2:00 recovery spin and set to a favorable gear to start with for tomorrow

and transition into running for 10 mins including several 15-20 sec accelerations (or strides) at race pace with about 1-2 mins of jog recoveries. The point of this workout is to get a feel of race pace again comfortably without "muscling" it. Stay relaxed while getting the mind and body prepped for the hard effort tomorrow.

Cool down walk with a couple knee drives, hip circles and forward/backward swings.

Decided to not do burpees today. The last thing I want to feel is tensed up neck and shoulders the day before the race!

A total catch-up of 129 burpees coming up tomorrow evening. Lucky me.

No comments:

Post a Comment