Sunday, January 22, 2012

Base Cycling



 Multi-sport training demands us to train all the metabolic pathways to ensure we get to our best possible maximum fitness in time for our big day. Yes, it's a lot of energy and time especially if you're working full-time, going to school or have a family to manage but you can still find a program that fits your time-crunched life-style. If you don’t incorporate the different styles of training, you’re doing it all wrong. If you want to race efficiently and painlessly, you must squeeze in different kinds of training depending on what your goal is--almost like consuming different veggies in order to get all the vitamins and minerals from each color group. Whatever your goal is, you’ll see that most training programs include speed skills, tempo and endurance. If you’re training for a full-marathon, then long and tempo runs are usually emphasized to meet the racing demands. If a 5k is your focus, speed skills and tempo is key, along with endurance runs as recovery and aerobic training for weight loss/maintenance.

Since I plunged into the world of triathlon training, I haven't learned to love the water just yet. I despite swimming laps and seeing lines that come and go but still do it to give my joints what it needs and play mental games to keep myself motivated in the water. Along with swimming, I’m training for a duathlon. Running is my strength with cycling on average which gives me a reason to focus on improving my cycling skills. During the season, I do a long ride once a week to maintain the endurance built during my pre-season base training.

Last week, I decided to attach my bike to an indoor trainer for the first time. I was already mentally prepared for how mind-numbingly boring it might be especially if it was a long ride but at times, I find myself too lazy to pack up my repair kit, fluids, cycling clothes, helmet, sunglasses and then I have to pay attention to stupid drivers, pot holes and all danger lurking near on the roads. Anyways, Thursday was the day and I got creative to make time fly riding indoors.

Set a laptop on a small table in front of your bike and pick out a favorite movie. For a comfortable 1-hour+ riding experience, set another small table to your side and lay out the essentials—water, sports drink, energy bar, gels, watch/timer, towel, barf bag, 5-hour ENERGY (ok, maybe I’m exaggerating but I believe that stuff is death to your body so I don’t recommend it!)… whatever floats your boat so you survive the long ride but no cell phones unless you’re prone to some sort of myocardial infarction. This is your time and your body needs your utmost attention!

Ok here’s what I do with movies. I pick out a specific scene, character, words or things and use it as intensity cues throughout my ride. There are many ways to be creative with this. Here are some of my examples:

William Shakespeare’s Romeo + Juliet: If you see both families (the Montagues and Capulets) present in a scene, easy cadence of 60-70 rpm. If the Montagues are only present, moderate cadence of 70-80 rpm. For Capulets, high cadence of 85+.

Fast and Furious: Most likely good for tempo rides. Racing scene = race pace at an appropriate road-feel resistance. For the rest, easy high-cadence spinning.

Twilight: high resistance climbing for Jacob scenes (good for force workouts or your next hilly race!)

For those of you who enjoy stupid comedies, try Jackass. I dare you to watch this without the slightest grin, smiling or laughing. If you do, a fast cadence of 100-120 rpm (work on smooth technique) and try to get this in a minute.

For those who love going extra, extra long--Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, King Kong, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest, Lord of the Rings, Titanic, The Godfather, Inception, and the worst, Gone with the Wind… to name some.

I’m not huge on romance or chick flicks but if you enjoy them, use high heels, kissing or signs of flirting as your cues. I don’t know… just be creative!

Now if you are just starting on a workout program or aren’t distance junkies, your favorite TV show work as well and it can be as short as 20-30 minutes. My favorite is Modern Family. Some ideas:
-Fast spinning for narrative scenes
-Riding out of the saddle for Phil’s presence
-Moderate spinning for in-house scenes, easy spinning for scenes out of the house

If you don’t own a bike and trainer then your regular gym spin bike will do. Charge your laptop the night before, put in a DVD or sign in with a Netflix online account if you have one and take it with you to the gym. Who cares what people think, they don’t know your secret unless they ask!   

No comments:

Post a Comment