Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Most Overlooked Component of Training


How many of you have the mindset that workouts must be so challenging in order to get the benefits of training? If you are one of those athletes, you are risking yourself a burnout or even worse, an injury that will never go away. This morning, I went to a Mobility and Flexiblity class at Great Times Crossfit (GTX) to focus on some relaxing range of motion exercises to help with my Crossfit performance. My muscles felt looser and pliable and soon, I was already warmed up for the next class, Kettlebells. It felt like I performed more efficiently because with the body free of knots and tension, I was feeling more motivated to push myself.

Quite frankly, I wasn't too proud of my first impression upon seeing Mobility and Flexibility on the class schedule. What came to mind was the thought of seniors doing some bunch of movements that would have been scoffed at by competitive athletes. It turned out that the class was what my body needed the most when my mind denies it. I also started doing Bikram yoga on my own in room temperature instead of a heated room. The heat is always helpful; however, if you're looking to save money, doing it at home is another budget-friendly option and the benefits are pretty much the same.

We tend to train harder and harder that we forget to give our body what it needs or underestimate the power of recovery. Not only recovery is a luxury, it is also an essential part of training. By neglecting that luxury, we are setting ourselves up for the worst. Furthermore, we set ourselves for frustrating failures or inability to perform the movements of triathlon training. How you recover will make or break your training. So make time to pamper your bodies and it WILL give you what you want!

No comments:

Post a Comment