Friday, January 27, 2012

Lower Leg Rehab


Not too long ago, I struggled with a healing injury on my right shin. Believe it or not, it was all from hiking in old worn out running shoes. I knew that running in ill-fitting shoes can set you up for the worst but hiking, I thought, would be harmless. It hit me when I got back to the hotel room to unwind. My right shin were burning and with every step I took, the pain got sharper. That's when I found out I had every runner's nightmare--the stress fracture.

It's pretty much healed, thanks to all the lower leg rehab exercises (and cutting off mileage, of course) I've been doing up to this day. It has become a little routine of mine, especially at nights before bed or before I head out for a run. Whether or not you're batting a running-related injury, you should at least take the time to focus on the most common imbalances--tight calves and weak anterior lower leg muscles which is most evident in the legs of a runner. It seems useless, but it does wonders for your biomechanics!

The towel grab (my favorite) exercise has never failed me to a speedy recovery and I still use it today to ward off new injuries. Use ace bandage instead of a towel so you can roll it out to a longer length and have more to grab. Follow with some long calf stretches (picture below) to balance out the tightness. Think strong in front, flexible in the back to even it all out. Do it while you watch TV or cruise around on your laptop!
(Static wall stretch for calves)


No comments:

Post a Comment