Thursday, January 26, 2012

DIY Earring Organizer

Take a peek in a typical woman's closet and you'll most likely notice an array of footwear from flip-flops, flats, high heels, boots and... yep, usually, a sh*tload of them.  Women have always been wired for shoe lust like men are wired for sports, cars and women. Of course, I like nice shoes, especially high heels on a night out but when you train for a living and a hobby, dressing up only comes every once in a while. I try not to buy too much fancy shoes because they can be expensive and I barely wear half of what's in my closet, including clothes and it would be a waste of money if I keep buying things I "want," not "need." I'm always in my gym clothes whether it's for working out, running errands, training my clients or lounging around the house.

Instead of shoes, I have a thing for dangle earrings and own so many that when I open my jewelry cabinet and drawers, I come to this HUGE dazzling mess. No matter how many times I organize them, I keep digging through them in a rush to get ready and then find myself re-organizing them a couple weeks later. I knew there had to be a better way of arranging them securely so that I can see every pair at once and save "dig" time. I looked up online for DIY project ideas and came to this inspiration.
You might have old frames sitting around that you don't use or you can go thrifty and find one at an unbelievable price but I decided to spice things up a bit. I scored a modern wooden serving tray with nature-inspired background art at a local thrift shop. Instead of having to buy wires for the earrings to hang onto, I used tree twigs. There are plenty of them outside and you'll save a bit more money! Drill holes on the sides of the tray to secure the branches. Like frames, serving trays double as a jewelry organizer because they can be easily set upright with handles on top and bottom so you can lug it with you to the mirror. Here's the finished look with and without earrings:

Finally.... an earring organizer that's aesthetically pleasing and helps you get ready in a flash!


No comments:

Post a Comment