Friday, March 30, 2012

Aerodynamics




Remember my previous post about making training as the "worst possible scenario" or in other words, more challenging so when it comes to race day, it feels a bit easier?

Just came across an interesting piece of detailed information from the Lore of Running book that reminds me of the method I'm taking in training. Aerodynamics. Yes, it affects running performance by a couple mere percent. If you're not a competitive athlete, it's probably some useless junk. Still going to throw this fact out for those of you who are serious about getting personal bests.

These are the factors that increases aerodynamic drag (increases your race time) by percentage:


  • Shoes with exposed laces (0.5%)
  • Hair on limbs (0.6%)
  • Long socks (0.9%)
  • Short hair (4%)
  • Loosely fitting clothing (4.2%) 
  • Long hair (6.3%)
(Noakes, 58)


Ladies, I'm not saying to go bald. I don't have the guts to do it either. Instead of a ponytail, it might just help a bit to put it in a tight bun. Think aerodynamic. Hair all slicked back. Push fluid bottles right behind you, not on sides of your hips or in front of you. Take off anything you have on your wrist except for a watch if you must. 

It might not do much but it wouldn't hurt to get elastic laces like Yankz! The bonus is that you wouldn't even have to worry about your shoelaces unraveling at inconvenient times. The last thing you want is to bend over for this, get tripped over and knocked out by another runner behind you. I've been there and no, I wasn't the runner bending over. 

To shave or not to shave? My swim coach would scold me for shaving my legs if it wasn't for a race. "Where is the hair on your legs and armpit?!" is what I would get. If it's not a triathlon or aquathlon, you're fine. It shouldn't hurt. Otherwise, if it'll make you "feel" fast in running, go ahead. 

Just think that those little things could add up to about 16.5% of your race result! This is why I try to wear something that creates a little drag in training. Usually a t-shirt on my runs or rides. Let my hair loose. Move fluid bottles on the sides of my hips. Wear thick rubber bracelets like this one especially for swimming. Again, the difference might not be grand but I do it anyways, mostly for a psychological boost on race day!


References
Noakes, Tim. Lore of Running. Cape Town: Oxford University Press Southern Africa, 2003.

No comments:

Post a Comment