Monday, March 5, 2012

Getting Started


Some people ask me how they can get started on running.

"I hate running! I've tried to run but I don't know.... I just can't keep up. I hate it but I know I should be doing it because it's good for me. So what do I do to get started?" probably sounds familiar to you or might be something you would say.

I tell you what--if you hate to run, it's not going to work! So forget running! There are other ways to get in shape. Find other types of heart-pumping activity you're likely to enjoy or put up with like biking, elliptical training, walking, hiking or even swimming. Especially if you're a beginner, you need to find something else that will motivate you right from the start and keep you going. Then as you gain confidence, strength and a healthy perspective towards working out, you can try running when you're ready!

If you're open-minded about running, try this 8-week program that I found for a friend, currently residing in DC, who asked me for some guidance last week. I'm thankful for the internet--it has an extensive range of detailed information and resources that come in handy when I advise people and clients living in different states. It's not easy to advise when you have more things to tell and share within restricted time and you're stuck with the keyboard-and-mouse that only gives probably 75% of what you want to say!

It has become some kind of a 'virtual' personal training thing that I do during my spare time and is another reason why I started blogging so I save time by typing things up once for those who seek similar training advice or ask me the same questions.

Along with the 8-week runner's program, I also paired it up with a strength training program. You can find it here. I made several changes to incorporate both programs and what I instructed my friend to do was:

8-Week Beginning Runner's Training Program
Only do Monday, Wednesday, and Friday workouts

The Spartacus Workout
Do this for your Tu/Th days. Ignore circuit training instructions for now. You'll do them later when you start feeling stronger and comfortable with the instructions given: Do 2-3 sets of 10-15 reps for each exercise. (10-15 for each side like for the #3 Single-Arm Dumbbell Swing.)

#2 Mountain Climber: 2-3 sets of 30 seconds WITHOUT stopping! Try 45 seconds if you can.
#4 T-Pushup: Nix the dumbbells if it's too challenging. Focus on good form and execution without them and add them later on when you feel confident enough to take it up a notch.

Ladies, I'm sure you've noticed that the Spartacus Workout is from Men's Health but it doesn't mean it's not for you. It's as efficient and will give you a nice toned, not bulky, physique! If you have not mastered the perfect push-up, you can accommodate station #4 T-Pushup by kneeling on your knees without the dumbbells. Gradually increase the intensity by doing regular push ups with knees off the floor and then work on bringing up an arm at a time without the weights. Then reach for the weights when it starts to feel a bit easier!

So basically you'll be running/walking 3 times a week. Strength training 2 times a week. ***Note that this is just something to get you started for this month, not something to stick with for months!*** Your body needs variety and confusion to get results.

Next month, spice up your strength session by doing as many reps as you can for 30 seconds. Go through the whole routine twice with 3 minutes rest in between both circuits of all 10 exercises. Then as weeks go by, gradually work up to a full minute and follow directions exactly as written for the Spartacus Workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment