Friday, March 2, 2012

Off-Road Pounding With Rocks


I usually schedule my long trail runs on Fridays or Saturdays. Lately, I've been racking up mileage on the Phoneline Trail at Sabino Canyon. It's a nice climb in the beginning which gets your glutes all warmed up and once you get to the top, it gets fairly stable with some rolling hills and the scenery is just drop dead gorgeous!

I bet my mom is going to hate reading this because I know that whenever I go out to ride or run the trails, she worries about my safety. She never says anything but deep inside, I think she wishes I wasn't into those kind of things. I'm a risk taker. I like embarking on new adventures on unknown trails, feeling the adrenaline rush of running faster like something is going to happen.

I've had family and friends telling me to beware of danger, especially mountain lions. I don't wear my cochlear implant when I train (incase you wonder why, it falls off easily) so I always look behind me every couple minutes or so to remain attentive, not just to anything going on in my immediate vicinity but anything beyond it. Having some alone time, running in beautiful scenery away from the city is how I keep my sanity. It's peaceful... and super duper quiet. (Wink).

One Friday morning, I decided to spice up my usual long run and made an abrupt right onto a trail I've never ran. The fact that it's embedded between two steep rugged valleys made it look like an enticing thrill... and it was calling my name. I couldn't say no.

I began to reconsider all the things I've been warned of and figured I should at least be making an effort to keep myself out of harm's way. I picked up two big rocks, the size of a soft-ball, about 3 pounds each and ran with them. I'm not kidding. Having some kind of defense helps to achieve some self-sufficiency. Ok, maybe it's not enough... but it's beats running with none!

Not only you protect yourself on secluded trails, running with rocks makes for an excellent work out. You can choose between running with one or two. Work your core and balance by running with one alternated between right and left hands. Run with two and it'll help your running form by using its weight to pull and keep your shoulders down. Rigid, tensed shoulders and neck waste energy and will tire you quickly. So just relax your shoulders and let the rocks do the job. Use your biceps to hold the weight and keep your core tight to stabilize yourself through the arm swinging movements. It might be awkward at first but you'll get the hang of it.

Many people who are just beginning to incorporate running in their lifestyles usually swing their arms across their chest instead of swinging it into a forward motion. Side-to-side arm swinging most likely causes slouching, which in turn causes inefficient breathing and energy is expended on twisting sideways instead of moving forward. All in all, you lose power.

Obviously, you can't do that with rocks or else, it'll be painful when you get your fingers slammed! It's good way to work on arm swing technique. You're forced to tighten your core, stay upright and execute your arms into a forward and backward motion.

The result? Super sleek toned arms, shoulders and core. Oh yes.

Be sure to greet and smile at hikers you pass by. You know, it's not a pretty sight to see a fierce-faced runner armed with rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment