Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Freshen Up


Ever look like a hot sweaty mess with no time for a shower because you have to be somewhere in 20 minutes? Been there back in DC when I was juggling school and work with some training time for myself. I would wake up before the sun rises to ride my bike to the gym to meet with a client for our 6am session then try to squeeze in a workout before class at 8am. With no time to get squeaky clean, I've stuck with a routine that gets me instantly refreshed for a long day ahead.

Two fast fixes I use to cleanse skin and revive dirty hair:
  • Baby wipes
  • Body powder (I used Origins Organics Refreshing Body Powder, above, but I think they don't sell those anymore. I would recommend Burt's Bees Baby Bee Dusting Powder or you can make your own dry-shampoo with a favorite fragrance, see below.)
They're my saviors. Use wipes to give yourself a mini-shower without the water and slick on deodorant. Sprinkle powder onto your fingertips and rub them into your scalp. Brush and blast your hair with a blow-dryer to get rid of the sweat. Powder again if you need to. Spritz a little body spray cloud into the air, walk through to conceal that baby wipe smell and voila! You're good to go! 

DIY Dry Shampoo Powder:
Add 3/4 cup of talcum powder or cornstarch in a small container with 1 tablespoon baking soda. Apply your favorite fragrance or few drops of essential oil to a cotton ball. Throw the ball in with the powder mixture. Seal, give it a little shake and let it sit for a day to absorb the scent. Discard the cotton ball and stash the container in your gym bag for emergencies when time is of the essence.

If you have a Johnson's Baby Powder sitting around, it also works. I'm not a fan of the smell but works great if you don't mind it at all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment