Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Like Greased Lightning





If you're a triathlete or a duathlete, dedicating a whole session, at least, to transition run throughs in your training is extremely...... no, not important. Come on, we know the answer to this, right? Unfortunately, many of us neglect this and spend the majority of our training on the three disciplines. Transitions may seem so simple but once you experience it, it's not as simple as you think it is. You'll have to develop a constant step-by-step plan outlined in your head to save thinking time. Not only you'll shave seconds off your time, you'll also save yourself from embarrassing moments!

With a duathlon coming up in a month, yesterday was the second time I practiced my run-bike-run transition. Best way is to practice it as many times as you see fit or until confidence and efficiency is achieved.

Two weeks ago, I did the same workout and during the second round, I nearly fell off my bike. If you're not quick enough to flip your cycle shoes, still attached to the pedals, upright to get your feet in while the bike's rolling, you hit that scary bump when the shoe goes under and panic like you're about to die.

Thankfully, I quickly bounced off my seat catch my balance. I was quick enough..... so I blame the shoes and the rubber band that broke during my first round. I've never experienced a fall during a race or transition workout (knock on wood), but I'm sure it'll happen someday. I'm ready.

There are many ways to achieve entering and exiting transition zones quickly and efficiently. Triathletes and duathletes have their ways. I have a way that works for me, incase you're curious what I do and how I go through the steps in my head that soon becomes a 'muscle memory':

T1 Run-Bike

  • Take running shoes off using the feet only (elastic laces is strongly recommended and I'm pretty sure you should know this already if you're in training) and the hands for buckling the helmet straps. You have four limbs so multi-task!
  • Run your bike out to an "imaginary" mount/dismount line. Make up a specific venue and really practice it because the rules are strict when it comes to getting on and off your bike at a specific spot. Pick a pole or mark the area with a rock.
  • If you've never heard of the rubber band method of mounting, this video will show you how to prevent your bike shoes from spinning around the pedal. (This is how I almost fell off my bike. The rubber band may break during transition practice but it shouldn't be something to worry about because you only mount your bike once during the race! And you want it to break.)
  • Get on the bike and place both feet on top of the bike shoes and pedal until you get to a strong pace THEN put your feet in the shoes. For shorter races like a sprint, I prefer to leave the straps undone so that way when I finish, all I need to do is slide my feet out of the shoes. It saves the strapping and unstrapping work but don't forget that when you need to stop, don't unclip. You'll either be unable to unclip or have a harder time to clip them back in with a loose shoe. Keep this in mind. Use your index finger to hold the shoe and slide out one foot. (Again and of course, always experiment with what works for you.)
T2 Bike-Run
  • Upon approaching the mount line, lower the gear and get the legs spinning at a high cadence, low resistance. This helps flush out the numbness in your legs and get the blood flowing in time for your run.
  • Take feet out and rest them on top of the shoes, keep pedaling. 
  • When getting off, keep the bike rolling and swing one leg back around the seat behind the other leg that's resting on the pedal. Use the swinging leg to catch your step onto the ground to begin running. Hard to explain but this is what I'm talking about. (Fast forward to 2:40)
  • After racking the bike, put forefeet first into the shoes, unbuckle the helmet and while using your hands to slide your heels into the shoes, flip your head over to let the helmet fall off. GO. Chop-chop! 
  • Take small quick strides and focus on breathing during the first few minutes. Shoulders down, relax your jaws and grip. Focus on staying loose and relaxed. This will get you faster gradually as the heaviness in your legs subsides. Be patient and trust me, you do not want to muscle it or take bigger strides at this point. Shorter strides will flush out the numbness faster. Just think of how you dissolve something in a shake bottle--the lumps dissolves quickly with a good quick shake. This is the same with your legs. 

Those strategies are pretty much mentioned often in other triathlon resources. Still thought I'd share some especially with the rubberbands, multi-tasking and not strapping the bike shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment