Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Ape Index



It's true that genetics influence athletic ability. Some athletes are blessed with genes that make them champions. Some skills are achieved by hard work and commitment. However, don't let it pull you down. Just because you have low genetic potential for aerobic endurance doesn't mean completing a marathon or even an Ironman is insurmountable. That's why we train--to develop and strengthen our potential for a sport.

So what made me bring up this? Check out this interesting article for triathletes and swimmers. It helps to understand your body better and how certain characteristics impact performance in the water.

Swimming is my least favorite discipline in triathlon. I'm not that great in the water; I'm just your typical swimmer. Many articles mention that a long stroke is favorable in long distance swimming but for some reason, I always felt like it doesn't do much for me especially with my short arms.

My ape index is -1. It partly makes sense now and helps me understand why I feel like I'm not taking in much distance with a long stroke. I find that a short stroke with a faster turnover rate works for me instead of long stroke with low stroke rate.

Sometimes, you have to be your own coach. Perfect form or technique feedback from a coach, trainer or an article might not benefit your performance but take it as a guidance. We come in all sizes with different physical and biological characteristics. It's all about experimenting and honing your skills to come down on what works best for you and your body. Nobody knows your body as well as you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment