Friday, February 3, 2012

I See Demons



Eight months ago, I joined Great Times Crossfit (GTX) and little did I know that it would set me for a new body and mind. Words cannot describe how much it had helped me to endure higher intensities in training and racing. I first heard about CrossFit from a friend of mine a couple years ago and that time, I never thought about getting involved. To me, the sport seemed kind of intimidating to be surrounded by sweaty, labored-breathing muscular beasts cranking up intensities until they bleed. It’s uncomfortable (yet impressive) seeing them live to suffer and me, being the endurance athlete, I didn’t think I needed that or would even fit in. Last year, I decided to suck it up and try something totally out of my boundaries. You never know until you try.

Most likely, some of you have experienced mixed feelings where you didn’t think you could do something. I tell you what… put on your big girl (or boy) panties and do it because you’ll always have that choice to withdraw if it doesn’t suit you. It’s not like a matter of life-and-death and you’re stuck with it forever. Life’s too short to be pondering over whether you should have a go for it or not and eventually regret not trying.

Don’t get me wrong, I love CrossFit but there is one thing I despite the most. The snatch. Even up to this day, I still cringe every time I see “R+L snatches” on the WOD board or even worse, "DBL snatches." They're demons and we don’t get along. It sets my hands and forearms on fire and burns to the point I start to lose grip and the kettlebell goes flying across the room nearly killing someone else and as much as I want to give 110%, I still worry about the person in front of or behind me! My snatch strength isn’t too great, probably partly because I haven’t mastered the perfect technique or I don’t like how it’s executed. I haven’t learned to dance with it yet, but all I know is that it especially becomes a living hell if it’s over 26 lbs. Yet I still suck it up and like Nike says, “just do it” because I know I have to get that weakness out of the way. The mildest expletives in my head unleashes and gradually become quite colorful as I deal with hell breaking my arm and the best feeling is finishing, knowing I crushed those little demons.

I’m not a true Crossfitter. I’m still learning and that’s okay. I still find peace with it because of one thing—it teaches you the mental strength that makes a goal or achievement feasible. If you give with just your body, you’re only doing what you know you can do. If you give mind and body, you’re doing what you know you can do as well as things you once thought were impractical at the level you’re at now. So forget your fears and insecurities, they’re just illusions and enjoy life a little bit more.  Even if that means setting a foot into a gym after years, not knowing what the heck to do with all the never-seen-before machines and equipment or, ladies, entering a weight room full of men….Just ignore them and your confidence will shine through.

Lastly, I can’t say how fortunate I am to have amazing friends and trainers at GTX who pushed me to where I am now in my training! 

No comments:

Post a Comment