Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Gear Check


Running shoes wear out like the bristles on your toothbrush. Overtime the bristles gets frayed and ineffective at keeping your pearly whites healthy. You usually have to replace them...right? Well you should and it's even more vital when it comes to treating your feet.

When I buy a new pair, I always write down the date I started running in them on the bottom rubber sole with a permanent marker so I know when it's time for a new pair. Geeky, I know. But at least it's easier to find that information right there on your shoes than write it elsewhere!

Gym shoes should be replaced especially if you're a runner. As new as it still may look, the soles still ages. It deteriorates depending on how often you use them and lose all features that provide support for your feet. It'll get ugly and your biomechanics may suffer. Resist the temptation to hang onto it too long just because you want to save money. I have been there before and it's better being injury-free and comfortable than giving up your entire goal and passion to recover.

Most experts recommend every 300-600 miles (or 4-6 months) before the shoes start to show any sign of major wear and tear. Really, there's no magic number for everyone because it varies among each of us. It's more accurate to calculate your total mileage, instead of months, so you know exactly how much you've been spending time in them. So clearly, if you're serious about fitness, wear them only for exercise so they last longer!

I used to do calculations to get an estimate of how often my shoes should be replaced. I don't do that now anymore even though I keep track of mileage and my workouts in a notebook. Call me lazy, but it's a pain having to go back to find the digits swamped in messy scribbles and then have to add them all up. After getting several estimates on my previous pairs, I've learned the easy way to write down the date on the soles and sense whether it's time to say farewell.

Can't remember when you first got your running shoes? Chances are it may be time to retreat to a pair that will take better care of you! Here's a great piece of info on how to know.

Don't know what to do with old shoes? Don't even think about hanging onto them or you'll be sorry. There are shoe charities where you can recycle an old pair for people in need. Check out Soles4Souls to find a nearby drop-off location. You'll feel better knowing you're doing yourself and someone else a favor!

No comments:

Post a Comment