Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Measurement Secret


When it comes to shopping, I hate trying on a pair of jeans, pants or shorts. I hate lugging a couple sizes with me to the fitting room, taking off my shoes and then finding out it doesn't comply with my waist and leg length. It takes a lot of patience to find the one that fits perfectly and I have no patience for that especially with my short legs. I do know my size; I just keep forgetting because I don't shop much and sizing depends on the brand. You can't predict the fit especially if it's a new style or brand so you end up gathering almost every potential pair with you to the fitting room to save another trip back to the rack.

Back when I was in high school, I watched the Tyra Banks Show every weekday and learned a measurement trick I still use today to see if the pants will fit in the waist without trying them on. The secret? Leave the pants buttoned up and drape the waistband around your neck as if you're putting on a necklace. If the ends touches and hugs your neck comfortably, jackpot! If you have to choke yourself to get the ends to touch, it's too small. If it overlaps, too big.

The circumference of your neck should be equal to the width of your waist. See for yourself and you might be surprised! I do this measurement check before heading to the fitting room and it only takes me a pair or two to find my true waistband size. If you don't care about the overall fit as long as it fits in the waist, you wouldn't even have to try them on. Sometimes I buy without trying them on and take them to the tailor shop if it needs to be hemmed or tailored. For me, it's worth having a pair that fits you like a glove!

1 comment:

  1. You can also use the length of your arm - from your wrist to your elbow to help determine if it will fit or not.

    ReplyDelete